Monday, July 20, 2009

In the Beginning

What If You Wrote a Self-Help Book For Yourself?
It did not start with that question. That question was a good 14 hours in the future. No, it started on the Highland Executive 9 at 6:30 am Sunday. At Highland, and afterwards at the New Louisana Cafe, I talked about visualization and life coaching. Ben and Tom started running with it and by the end of breakfast I had a shell of a concept for a self-help book.
I started talking about it with my wife Beth, friends Steve and Jess at First Avenue before the Old 97's show. We were laughing but I was already getting more serious about doing it. I pulled out my iphone and jotted some notes. By the start of the music I had headings for seven chapters and a tentative first line: "What if you wrote a self-help book for yourself?"
Beth said,"Hey, you're just writing down what I say." She's right. And that just gave me chapter eight: "Listen to your wife." She also gave me the idea of taking it from a bartender's point of view. I have been bartending for twenty plus years so that makes a lot of sense. It's also a great marketing hook. Thanks love.
So here I go. The blog is the marketing tool for the un-written book. It's the start of writing the book. It's a test area. And it's free to all of you gentle readers. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment